Meánscoil Iognáid Rís is a Catholic voluntary secondary school under the trusteeship of the Edmund Rice Schools Trust. For most of its history, the trustees were the Irish Christian Brothers. The school, named after the founder of the order, Edmund Ignatius rice, opened its doors in September 1871, a full fifty years before the Irish state was founded. The Moat Theatre as it is now known, was both monastery and school for the Brothers until 1903 when the monastery on Friary Road was built. For over seventy years, both the primary and secondary schools were housed in the Moat Hall. In 1954 St. Corban’s primary school was built and four years later the secondary school moved to its present site on Corban’s Lane. In 1982 a substantial extension was built and a further extension comprising a fine Sports Hall, a Construction Studies Room and other classrooms was completed in 1995. Ten years later, in 2005, another six-room extension was completed and a further large four storey extension of twenty rooms is currently under construction.
Pupil numbers have increased greatly over the years from 233 (1971) to 414 (1981) to a current enrolment of over 950 pupils. We traditionally welcome pupils from a wide catchment area and this mix of town and country contributes greatly to the good atmosphere which is a celebrated feature of the school.
Since its foundation the school was managed by one of the Brothers who held the post of Principal. In 1993 a Board of Management representing, trustees, staff and parents was put in place and the first lay-principal, Mr Noel Merrick, was appointed. The school remains, of course, a Christian Brothers School with the staff and management committed to the ethos of the Edmund Rice Schools.