The Board of Management of Meánscoil Iognáid Rís recognises that child protection and welfare considerations permeate all aspects of school life and must be reflected in all of the school’s policies, practices and activities. Accordingly, in accordance with the requirements of the Department of Education and Skills’ Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools, the Board of Management of Meánscoil Iognáid Rís has agreed the following child protection policy:
- The Board of Management has adopted and will implement fully and without modification the Department’sChild Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools as part of this overall child protection policy.
- The Designated Liaison Person (DLP) isMr Noel Merrick
- The Deputy Designated Liaison Person (Deputy DLP) isMr Ben Travers.
- In its policies, practices and activities, Meánscoil Iognáid Rís will adhere to the following principles of best practice in child protection and welfare:
The school will:
- recognise that the protection and welfare of children is of paramount importance, regardless of all other considerations;
- fully co-operate with the relevant statutory authorities in relation to child protection and welfare matters
- adopt safe practices to minimise the possibility of harm or accidents happening to children and protect workers from the necessity to take unnecessary risks that may leave themselves open to accusations of abuse or neglect;
- develop a practice of openness with parents and encourage parental involvement in the education of their children; and
- fully respect confidentiality requirements in dealing with child protection matters.
The school will also adhere to the above principles in relation to any adult pupil with a special vulnerability.
The Board has ensured that, in relation to child protection, the necessary policies, protocols and practices as appropriate are in place in respect of all aspects of school life including the following:
- Recruitment Procedures – as set out in DESCircular 63/2010
- TheCode of Behaviour of Meánscoil Iognáid Rís
- TheAnti-bullying Policy of Meánscoil Iognáid Rís
- Tuition, supervision and pastoral care of pupils
- Sporting activities & school trips
- Work Experience programmes
- Data Protection
This policy has been made available to school personnel and the Parents’ Council and is readily accessible to parents on request. A copy of this policy will be made available to the Department and the patron if requested.
This policy will be reviewed by the Board of Management once in every school year. The date of the next review will be in November 2012.
This policy was adopted by the Board of Management on 6th October 2011